Liz’s Epic Quest Of Awesomeness – The Points System
To encourage me along the way, to be making regular progress towards my goals, I will award myself weekly points for working towards my challenges. These points can accrue even when I have completed the challenge (so still get points for trying a new food, even if it’s my tenth new food that year) and, as such, the points achieveable will be higher than the points necessary to complete all the challenges.
My weekly points goal will be 100 points. The points will be awarded as follows:
- Finish the Couch to 5k program. Which means being able to run/jog for 30mins without stopping. – 10 points per workout. I had to delete this due to technical difficulties. I’m now working on four fun runs/events worth 30 points each (although a special event will be higher, using some Golden Opportunity points). I will also accumulate points as follows, working toward my long term goal of running five kms in 30 mins or less… any 5km run under 40mins gets me 10 points, and any extra 20min + run also gets me an extra 10 points, and any new PB set at parkrun will earn me an additional 10 points
- Achieve 50 parkruns (currently at 15). – 10 points per parkrun.
- Walk/Run 1000km across the year-and-a-bit (not in one hit!!) – which will set me well on my way to Mordor (I’m currently on 99km and The Road To Mordor is 2863km long). – 10 points for completing 20kms walking/running in the week.
- Be able to hold either a headstand or handstand (yoga) for at least a few seconds. – 50 points (to achieve these points second and subsequent times, I need to be able to hold the stand for a little longer than the previous time).
- Be able to do three proper pushups (on toes) in a row. – 50 points (to achieve these points second and subsequent times, I need to be able to do more proper pushups than the previous time).
New Experiences Challenges
- Try five new foods. – 10 points per new food tried.
- Attend a class, or a series of classes, to learn a new skill. – 40 points for a one-off class, or 20 points per class for a series of classes.
- Try an exercise class I’ve never tried before. – 30 points per new class tried.
- Visit three cultural locations (museums, art galleries, historic sites) I’ve never been to before. – 40 points per new location, although if it’s on the same day (say in a city I’ve never been to before) subsequent venues get 30, 20 then 10 points.
- Read ten fiction books. – 20 points per book completed
- Read five biographies. – 20 points per book completed
- Read five non-fiction books (not biographies). – 20 points per book completed
- Begin ten books from my “I should read these classics” list, and complete at least three of them (to qualify as beginning the book I need to read at least three chapters/50 pages). – 10 points for beginning a book and 40 points for finishing (some books are half points, see the list).
- Read three novels aloud to our children. – 40 points per book finished.
- Complete Rosetta Stone Level One – Spanish (Latin American). – 5 points per lesson, and a bonus 20 points once completed.
- Complete DuoLingo in Spanish. – 5 points per day completed, and a bonus 20 points once completed.
- Work through Laugh and Learn Spanish. – 5 points per (very short) chapter, and a bonus 20 points once completed..
- Complete Rosetta Stone Level Two – Spanish (Latin American). – 5 points per lesson, and a bonus 20 points once completed..
- Read a novel, in Spanish. – 5 points per chapter, and a bonus 20 points once completed.
- Attend four live performances, including at least one musical, one live music performance and one theatrical performance. – 30 points per performance.
- Visit four different museums, art galleries or other cultural locations (in addition to the new experience challenges). – 30 points per venue.
- See five movies at the cinema, rather than always waiting for them to come out on DVD and then forgetting about them. – 30 points per movie.
- Go to three different fesivals, carnivals, fetes, fairs etc. – 30 points per celebration.
- Go to High Tea in two different locations. – 40 points per High Tea.
- Have a week’s holiday away as a family. – 100 points per holiday (it’s only going to happen once!)
- Have one night away with Mark. – 80 points (it’s only likely to happen once)
- Have one night away, without Mark and the kids. – 80 points (again, only likely to happen once, if at all).